top of page

Beach Broadcast Group

Public·105 members
Maverick Adams
Maverick Adams

Catch Fire

Stories about the 1969 Cuyahoga River fire often combine fact and myth. People generally agree about what occurred on and immediately after June 22, 1969. Myth enters the stories when people describe the fire as a primary cause of major milestones in the environmental movement. Regardless, the Cuyahoga River fire has become a symbol of water pollution and the environmental movement. Today, we celebrate this symbolism, not just the facts of the story.The fire took place in Cleveland, Ohio, a few miles north of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Heavy industry dominates this section of the river. Railroad bridges near Republic Steel trapped debris in the river, causing it to pile up. Oil on the water added to its flammability. A flare tossed from an overpassing train likely provided the spark that ignited the debris. The fire lasted for less than a half hour and resulted in minor damage to the railroad bridges.

catch fire

An examination of Fire Department data by THE CITY reveals that, by far, most of these fires are taking place in modest apartment buildings without fancy names or in one- and two-family homes far removed from affluent Midtown East.

The number of e-bike-related fires took off during the pandemic, coinciding with the growth in riders using battery-powered devices to deliver takeout via apps such as GrubHub and DoorDash. In 2020, the Fire Department determined that 44 fires were caused by faulty e-bike batteries; in 2021 there were 104. So far this year there have been 191.

With such incidents on the rise, THE CITY obtained fire department data that details the location of all 221 structural fires across the city that the FDNY has blamed on exploding e-bike batteries from Jan. 1, 2021 through last week.

THE CITY zeroed in on the neighborhoods with the most fires, focusing on ZIP codes with five or more. We found 81 e-bike fires in 12 ZIP codes, all which were home to high concentrations of lower-income residents. All but eight such fires took place inside residential properties, usually multi-unit rentals or one- or two-family homes. Nine erupted inside public housing apartments.

The ZIP codes with the most fires were located in four of the five boroughs in a variety of neighborhoods, including Corona and Sunnyside in Queens, Sunset Park, Brownsville and Bushwick in Brooklyn, Williamsbridge and Morrisania in the Bronx, and the Lower East Side in Manhattan.

A proliferation of badly manufactured parts, cheap modifications to existing batteries, poor storage and charging practices and pressures on delivery drivers are combining to create a spike in e-bike battery-related fires.

Nevertheless, these types of citations are pretty rare. So far this year there have been 191 e-bike battery fires, while the FDNY has hit only 19 property owners with summons and 10 property owners with violations.

As for whether the city should simply ban the charging of these devices in any type of indoor space, the same fire officials who have repeatedly warned about the dangers of lithium-ion batteries are reluctant to take that drastic step.

The Council is considering four bills that would attack this problem in a variety of ways, starting by banning the sale of reused batteries and batteries that are not certified as fire safe by UL Solutions.

Another bill would create a campaign to educate delivery drivers, requiring the takeout apps to spread the word on how to recharge and maintain batteries safely. And another bill would require the fire department to provide the public with real time information on every e-bike fire going forward.

And late Wednesday, a fire blazed at the fulfillment center ALB1 outside Albany, New York, where workers will be voting next week on whether to join the Amazon Labor Union. Amazon closed that facility for the day shift and sent workers home with pay.

Workers have long raised safety concerns at Amazon facilities. Fulfillment centers have caught fire or experienced electrical explosions. A tornado slammed into an Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois, in 2021, flattening the building and leaving six people dead and another hospitalized.

He runs through a list: workers suffering carpal tunnel syndrome from the grueling hours of repetitive motions, workers who have gotten their toes crushed in jacks, and workers who have been fired while out on workers compensation after an injury.

With no clear answers, he marched with ALU leaders and hundreds of other workers to Human Resources to demand answers. The ALU leaders demanded to see a copy of the fire report. McCroy asked if anyone from H.R. had walked over to the departments they were sending workers back to, and the human resources personnel said no.

Ford said it started investigating the fires in March but has not yet identified a cause. The company said incidents are believed to begin in the back of the engine compartment, near the vehicle's passenger side.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Producing a thick, black smoke plume that was seen throughout downtown Denver on Thursday afternoon, a fire burned in a portion of the club level on the east side of Empower Field at Mile High, which is home to the NFL's Broncos.

The Denver Fire Department responded at about 2:15 p.m. MDT to a fire that began in a construction zone in that part of the stadium, department officials said at a news conference. The fire was under control by about 2:45 p.m.

"This type of plastic that the seats are composed of burns with not only significant ferocity ... but also produces a tremendous amount of black smoke,'' Capt. Greg Pixley, a spokesman for the fire department, said.

Hyundai Motor America and Kia America recommend that owners of select Model Year 2020-2022 Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride vehicles park their cars outside and away from homes and other structures until their vehicles have been repaired, due to new recalls for the risk of fire.

The recalls involve 245,030 Model Year 2020-2022 Hyundai Palisade vehicles (NHTSA ID: 22V-633) and 36,417 Model Year 2020-2022 Kia Telluride vehicles (NHTSA ID: 22V-626). An accessory tow hitch sold through dealerships may allow moisture into the harness module, causing a short circuit. In some cases, an electrical short can cause a vehicle fire while driving or while parked and turned off.

You may have heard that e-cigarettes, or vapes, can catch on fire or explode and seriously hurt people. Although these incidents appear uncommon, vape fires and explosions are dangerous to the person using the vaping product and others around them. There may be added dangers, for example, if a vape battery catches fire or explodes near flammable gasses or liquids, such as oxygen, propane, or gasoline.

The exact causes of vape fires or explosions are not yet clear, but some evidence suggests that battery-related issues may be a cause. The tips below may help you avoid a vape battery fire or explosion. Please report a vape fire or explosion or any other undesired health or quality problems with a vape to FDA.

Until all vapes and vape batteries conform to strong and consistent safety standards, your best protection against vape battery fires or explosions may be knowing as much as possible about your device and how to properly handle and charge its batteries.

Information from consumers about vape fires or explosions can help FDA to address these problems. Anyone can report any undesired health or quality problems with a vape, including fires or explosions, to FDA through the Safety Reporting Portal. When you fill out the form, please be sure to include:

Fred Sherrell shot video Saturday night of a large fire at Copart, a vehicle auction and remarketing site on Lott Road in Semmes. He says flames shot as high as 80 feet into the air and the exploding gas tanks sounded like gunfire. As he watched, he worried the fire might spread onto his property and worried about the smoke blowing by his home.

The Semmes Fire and Rescue Chief says 20-30 vehicles were on fire, and it was all hands on deck to put the flames out. Chief Kevin Brooks says after crews finally got through the locked gates, they used all three engines and the water tank. Brooks says because the fire was in the back of the property and the only fire hydrant was at the street, it was too far to lay a line so they had to set up a shuttle system for the water. 041b061a72


Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...


bottom of page